Wednesday, June 19, 2013

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...

Yeah, we both know how this is gonna end, but nevertheless: SUPERMAN!





Today, I went to go see Man of Steel with my dad, and it was really good! I love superhero movies, but have rarely emerged from the realm of the Avengers franchise. While those shall forever remain my favorite, Man of Steel was entertaining, and the acting was very captivating. Not knowing much about the story of Superman beforehand made the plot unpredictable and kept my attention the whole way through. Oh, and if you're planning on watching the movie and don't want to have any minor spoilers, I'd advise that you stop reading :P But I won't reveal anything major, I promise.

The movie begins on Krypton, where the planet is facing an unstoppable disaster. To save his life, Kal-El is sent by his parents to earth. He grows up as Clark Kent, unaware of his alien parentage, but knowing that something about him is different. Like the glowing red eyes. And the incredible Hulk-like strength. I mean seriously, the kid pushed a sinking bus out of the water. He later meets Lois Lane, who is played by Amy Adams. I have to admit, her presence in this movie was partly the reason I went to go see it; Amy is one of my favorite actresses, and she didn't disappoint. Then again, I've always had a weakness for people with red hair.

I won't elaborate further on the plot, as I want you to go see if for yourself :) But I will say that I enjoyed Man of Steel immensely. And heck, if you don't, it's still a couple hours watching Henry Cavill fly around in a fairly tight superhero suit :D I swear, his face has muscles...

If I had anything negative to say, it would be concerning the flashbacks. Now, I've always been told as a writer to only use flashbacks when absolutely necessary; that the audience is more interested in the here and now, and a flashback only slows down the pace of the story. Man of Steel contained quite a bit of back story that was explained through Clark's flashbacks. While most of this information was needed for the plot to make sense, there seemed to be just too many flashbacks, especially towards the beginning. We bounced back and forth between eras of Clark's life for long enough that I began to get a bit dizzy.

Nevertheless, I would recommend Man of Steel. If any of you guys have seen it, please comment and let me know what you thought. I am now going to finish watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with my grandma. Well, and my grandpa and aunt, but they're asleep :)

Until next time the world needs saving,
~Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment